Monday, July 18, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

(from my Mother-in-law)

These muffins are versatile and delicious. I love that you can add whatever you are in the mood for: apples, carrots, nuts, flaxseed, craisins, raisins, etc. You can even substitute whole wheat flour for the white flour. You really can't go wrong... unless you forget the baking soda!

18-22 min bake | 20 min prep | yield 30 muffins

Ingredients
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup canola or vegetable oil (less if adding carrots and apples)
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1/3-1/2 cup grated carrots (optional)
  • 1/2-1 cup grated apple (optional)
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • craisins, raisins, nuts, flaxseed, and/or chocolate chips to preference (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine eggs, pumpkin, oil, and water in large mixing bowl.
  3. Add sugar. If you choose to add apples and carrots, add those now as well. Mix well.
  4. In separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
  5. Add dry to wet and mix well.
  6. Add in other optional ingredients such as craisins or chocolate chips.
  7. Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 18-22 minutes. (the original recipe says 15-17 minutes but I filled my muffin tins quite full)
Notes
  1. I used one apple and five baby carrots. I cut my oil back to 3/4 cup but I could have probably used even less. I substituted 1/4 ground flaxseed for 1/4 a cup of the flour. I used 1 1/2 cups white flour and 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. I left a dozen muffins plain for my son and added craisins, raisins, and nuts to the rest. Then I filled my muffin tins almost to the top and baked for about 21 min. This made 30 muffins.
  2. You can also make pumpkin bread with this recipe. A large loaf should bake for 45-60 minutes and you can adjust the time down for smaller loafs.

No comments:

Post a Comment